Saturday, October 29, 2005

Greetings from Hell

Okay, so this post isn't strictly writing-related, but I did have to pack up the car and that included my computer that I use to write, so does that count?

The firestorm has been over for several weeks and I feel like I'm still decompressing. In the days immediately following, when I'd go to the store, anytime someone asked, "And how did you do in the fire? Are you all right?," I'd just burst into tears.

I live with my Mother and am her sole caregiver. She is bedridden and on oxygen. She can't get up and run when there is an emergency. She can't be transferred to the car, she can only be laterally transferred to an ambulance gurney.

At 3:30 in the morning, a man who lives several blocks away and much closer to the actual flames of the fire pounded on my front door. He said the mandatory evacuation order had been given and he was worried that I wouldn't have enough time to get my Mother to safety.

He was right. I couldn't get my Mother anywhere. I called 911 and they sent out an ambulance but the ambulance crew said Medicare would not pay for the ride unless the fire department made our little section of street a mandatory evacuation. They were ordering everyone out but just for one little section of houses, it was technically not mandatory. See the photos below of just how close disaster came to our home.

I freaked out just a bit and the ambulance crew said not to panic, if we were about to be burned alive they would just get my Mom in the ambulance and drive her out of there. But, there was nowhere to take her. Red Cross shelters do not provide for elderly or disabled evacuees.

We were stuck. The firemen told us not to worry until we saw all our neighbors leave. I watched all the neighbors leave. My Mom and I and the ambulance guys were the only ones left on our street.

I watched a wall of flame come at us. At some point in the nightmare, the ambulance guys had to leave. We were alone. I guess I was waiting for the worst. But the angels were watching over us and the worst passed over us. We survived.

There is a hate site on the web where the site owner has posted that she wishes for my Mother's death and that I will kill myself. The "lady" will be disappointed to learn that we are just fine. She can go back to her life of pretending to be an authentic reporter for a major New York newspaper while allowing the wholesale plaigarizing of other reporters' and writers' works to be published on her hate site. I have no particular feelings toward her other than a general sense of pity. What she has brought upon herself by her own actions is nothing to do with me.

I repeat, WE SURVIVED.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home