Friday, October 28, 2005

Why Write? (with quotes on the writing and creative process)

So... why do you write? Is it a hobby, a life's avocation, a precious dream, a way to vent... what moves you to put your words to any form for others to see?

In my lifetime, I suppose I have been motivated to write for different reasons with varying degrees of success. And exactly what is success for a writer, anyway? Is it measured by celebrity status or financial gain regardless of how well or how poorly the writer can actually write? I think I let go of that sort of thinking a very long time ago. Now I love craft for craft's sake, I suppose. I enjoy challenge and I love the satisfying feeling of having created something and done it to perfection, or as near to perfect as I am able to achieve. I love that.

But mostly, I write because it is the only time I feel 100% alive and human. All the other minutes of the day are just marking time. I can't NOT write (double negative intended). It is who I am.

I'd love to hear what other writers (of any kind) have to say on the subject of writing. What it means to you, how you go about it, how you define success and any great moments you'd care to share.

Meanwhile, here is what some other folks have had to say on the subject of writing:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home