Thursday, March 02, 2006

In Search of my Perfect Home Office

Well, here's the scoop... I am an organizational freak of the first degree. My comfort zone is in having everything in its very own individual proper place. Heck, I don't even like it when the peas touch the mashed potatoes on my dinner plate. Why doesn't anyone ever get that? You want your potatoes juiced up and soggy with some vegetable? Eew.

So why would I want to dig through a pile of unorganized papers to find the exact printed receipt that proves, yes sir, I really did pay my phone bill so take your threats and put them where you do your best thinking. Heh heh. I crack myself up.

I also defy this Universal Law of the Cosmos that declares when one is on the telephone and must write down an important number, no working viable pen must be within reach.

Anyway, I barely manage to make little oases of organization here at my house. All my writing books and magazines have their own bookcase. My computer area is a little niche of a world unto itself but it's crammed into a corner of my bedroom and most of the rest of what would go into a home office is spread out around the house in various other pockets of organization. All waiting for the day when I can make space to bring them all together in one cohesive beautiful unit.

I don't have a whole lot of control over the space issue since I live at my Mom's house and am her sole caregiver 24/7. She is bedridden and on oxygen and requires a lot of attention. So part of my organization problem is budgeting the time to do it. Another problem is that I am myself disabled and am only able to physically labor at the organizing thing in dribs and drabs of energy and strength.

But making the space open for a home office... well, that's the killer for me. It's just me and my Mom now, but this house is crammed full of my Grandmother's life and much of her antiques and furniture brought from the family farm. My brother's whole life exists here, too, even though he also has passed on. Then there's ten years of me living on my own in my own apartment that got crammed into every iota of space that was left.

So, finally, I'm ready to toss out some old stuff to make space for that office. My Mom has agreed. I am going to take the master bedroom for it since my Mom's hospital bed must now sit in the living room to make easy access for paramedics. So that means all her other medical equipment and home health supplies have taken up occupancy in the living room, too. Oh man, it's fun trying to squeeze in a Christmas tree when it's that time of year.

But, we are so crammed full here that I start organizing one area and don't have space so I go to clean another area to make space like I'm just shuffling pieces around on a gameboard. I might love BEING organized but I just can't seem to DO it.

I know when I'm beat. So now I'm on an oddessey of discovery, in search of tips and advice and wish lists and illustrations and one day, the reality is going to match up with the pretty picture in my brain. And I will have my home office.

Then I can start on a sewing room which will most likely have to be in combo with my artist room and craft room. After all, we only have four bedrooms in this house.

So this little spot on my blog is devoted to that voyage of discovery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home